February 4 – Chapter Meeting
- Speed Mentoring
February 4, 2019
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
Hosted by the Central Florida ASSP Chapter WISE group and co-sponsored by the Central Florida Section of Society of Women Engineering, this “speed mentoring” event will help members focus on the soft skills that are necessary to be a successful EHS professional.
This event is open to all Chapter members and Central Florida Section SWE members. There would be 8-10 stations staffed with a “mentor” who meet with participants broken down into groups of no more than 6. Each group of 6 would move from one station to the next every 4-5 minutes, until they experienced all 8-10 stations.
The planned topics at each station include:
1. Negotiation Skills: How to ask for what you deserve while being self-aware of worth.
2. Persuasion/Influencing Skills: How to get buy in and funding for projects, and gaining allies to being successful.
3. Nonverbal Communication Skills: How your body language can sometimes do the talking.
4. Conflict Resolution: Resolving conflict in the same plane (i.e., peer-to-peer), upwards (managers) or downwards (less experienced employees), and how to regain trust.
5. Conflict Management: Managing conflict management via emotional intelligence, empathy, communication etc.
6. Time Management: Put yourself first, and pace yourself. Learning prioritizing, scheduling, keeping a to do list, and understanding one’s self and clients.
7. Self-Reflection: Knowing when it’s time to move on, staying motivated and being honest with one’s self.
8. Team Playing Ability: Why there is power in numbers.
9. Listening vs. Talking: Knowing the difference between the two and how to manage both.